Secret Assets Owners
  • Investing
  • World News
  • Politics
  • Stock
  • Editor’s Pick
Politics

Outgoing WH official calls for US to bolster cybersecurity workforce by hiring non-degree holders

by January 8, 2025
January 8, 2025

The White House’s outgoing cyber czar, Harry Coker, called for three key things to meet the growing threat of digital attacks: more funding, deregulation and opening up cyber jobs to those without college degrees.

As adversaries like Iran, China and Russia lob near-constant attacks on the U.S. digital infrastructure, ‘we have to prioritize cybersecurity within federal budgets’ President Joe Biden’s national cyber director said at an event with the Foundation for Defense of Democracies in Washington, D.C.

‘I would love for the incoming administration, or any administration, to recognize the priority of cybersecurity,’ Coker said. 

He added that he understands the U.S. is in a ‘tough budget situation.’

‘I get that, and I support making progress towards reducing the deficit, but we have to prioritize cybersecurity within our current budgets,’ he said.

At the same time, the Biden appointee railed against ‘duplicative federal regulation’ and said he’d heard from those working to protect the nation’s online infrastructure that they spend ‘a staggering 30 to 50%’ of their time working to comply with regulation, rather than ensuring protection from hacks.

‘Armed with the industry’s call to streamline, we worked with Congress to write bipartisan legislation that would bring all stakeholders, including independent regulators, to the table to advance the regulatory harmonization,’ he went on.

‘Many of us were disappointed that this has not become law yet, but we have laid the groundwork for the next administration in Congress to do the right thing for our partners in the private sector.’

His urging comes as the U.S. is grappling with the fallout of one of China’s biggest attacks on American infrastructure in history, dubbed Salt Typhoon. 

A Chinese intelligence group infiltrated nine U.S. telecommunications giants and gained access to the private text messages and phone calls of Americans, including senior government officials and prominent political figures. 

The Salt Typhoon hackers also gained access to an exhaustive list of phone numbers the Justice Department had wiretapped to monitor people suspected of espionage, granting them insight into which Chinese spies the U.S. had caught onto and which they had missed.

China was also behind a ‘major’ hack of the Treasury Department in December, gaining access to unclassified documents and the workstations of government employees. 

And earlier this year, Commerce Secretary Gina Raimondo’s communications were intercepted by Chinese intelligence, just as she was making determinations about new export controls on semiconductors and other key technologies. The same hacking group also targeted officials at the State Department and members of Congress.

Amid this onslaught of attacks, Coker said the cyber industry is suffering a recruitment issue. 

‘Today there are nearly 500,000 open cyber jobs in this great nation,’ he said. 

‘The federal government is leading by example… removing federal employee and contractor hiring from a focus on college degrees to a focus on what we’re really after: skills.

‘When we do away with the four-year college degree requirement, we expand our talent pool,’ Coker went on. ‘Many Americans don’t have the time or the means to go to college for four years, but they can do it for two years or less.’

Related Topics

Cybercrime
White House
Technologies

This post appeared first on FOX NEWS
previous post
Fact-checking firm staffed by CNN alums takes Meta axing hard: ‘surprised and disappointed’
next post
What Virginia’s special elections tell us about the bigger ballot box battles to come in 2025, 2026

You may also like

Iran says US must ‘prove they want to...

February 16, 2026

Man who burned Quran in London may get...

February 16, 2026

Hillary Clinton clashes with Czech leader over Trump...

February 15, 2026

Schumer says Dems will fight voter ID push...

February 15, 2026

DAVID MARCUS: Trump hits the links with a...

February 15, 2026

Doctors Without Borders reduces operations at Gaza hospital...

February 15, 2026

The one sentence in Rubio’s Munich speech that...

February 15, 2026

Trump announces $5 billion pledge in Gaza aid...

February 15, 2026

Waltz calls UN a ‘cesspool for antisemitism’ as...

February 15, 2026

Rubio defends US operation in Venezuela, calls out...

February 15, 2026
Join The Exclusive Subscription Today And Get Premium Articles For Free


Your information is secure and your privacy is protected. By opting in you agree to receive emails from us. Remember that you can opt-out any time, we hate spam too!

Recent Posts

  • Iran says US must ‘prove they want to do a deal’ on nuclear talks in Geneva

    February 16, 2026
  • Man who burned Quran in London may get US asylum as case draws Trump administration attention

    February 16, 2026
  • Hillary Clinton clashes with Czech leader over Trump policies at Munich security conference

    February 15, 2026
  • Schumer says Dems will fight voter ID push ‘tooth and nail,’ balks at DHS role in elections

    February 15, 2026
  • DAVID MARCUS: Trump hits the links with a chance to bring in an ace

    February 15, 2026
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Terms & Conditions
  • Privacy Policy

Copyright © 2025 SecretAssetsOwners.com All Rights Reserved.


Back To Top
Secret Assets Owners
  • Investing
  • World News
  • Politics
  • Stock
  • Editor’s Pick