Secret Assets Owners
  • Investing
  • World News
  • Politics
  • Stock
  • Editor’s Pick
Politics

Harris campaign says she will not push ‘Medicare-for-all’ plan despite previous support

by August 14, 2024
August 14, 2024

Vice President Harris appears to be singing a different tune when it comes to ensuring ‘Medicare-for-all,’ compared to when she ran for president in 2019.

A campaign official told Fox News senior White House correspondent Peter Doocy that Harris will not push the subject of single-payer or ‘Medicare-for-all’ this go around, as she seeks her first term as commander-in-chief.

In 2019, Fox News spoke to Harris in the hallways of Capitol Hill, asking about her plans for providing health care.

‘How important is it to your health care plan to get rid of private insurance companies? Because there is some confusion about that,’ Doocy asked Harris on Jan. 30, 2019.

‘I’m glad you asked. Yeah. So, the bottom line and the most important is that everyone have access to health care,’ Harris said. ‘That is the goal. That is the purpose for me supporting the policy of ‘Medicare-for-all.’

‘If Congress votes in a way that reflects the values and desires of the American people, then Congress will vote for a policy that gives everyone access to health care,’ she later said.

On July 29, 2019, Harris published a piece on her campaign website about her plan to provide ‘Medicare-for-all.’

She wrote, ‘There is perhaps no more complicated or more personal issue for Americans than health care.’ Harris also wrote that the American health care system is ‘a patchwork of plans, providers and costs’ that frustrates people and leaves them powerless against the insurance companies in charge.

Her proposed solution was to provide ‘Medicare-for-all’ because ‘Medicare works’ and ‘it’s popular.’

”Medicare-for-all’ will cover all medically necessary services, including emergency room visits, doctor visits, vision, dental, hearing aids, mental health, and substance-use disorder treatment, and comprehensive reproductive health care services,’ Harris wrote. ‘It will also allow the Secretary of Health and Human Services to negotiate for lower prescription drug prices.’

But her plan in July was different from what she proposed in January that year, because it would allow private insurers to offer Medicare plans to their clients.

In an interview with The Hill in October 2019, Harris said she knew she would be called ‘a flip-flopper’ after she backed away from her initial support of ‘Medicare-for-all,’ and developed her own health care plan.

Her plan in January 2019 called on eliminating private insurance. Then in July 2019, she chose to include a role for private insurance companies to privately administer Medicare plans, though under strict rules.

Even in 2017, Harris backed a single-payer plan proposed by Sen. Bernie Sanders, I-Vt.

Harris told constituents at a town hall in Oakland on Aug. 30, 2017, that she planned to co-sponsor Sanders’ forthcoming ‘Medicare-for-all’ bill, explaining that it was ‘just the right thing to do.’

‘It’s not just about what is morally and ethically right. It also makes sense from a fiscal standpoint,’ Harris said at the time.

Harris had previously stated that she supported the single-payer system as a ‘concept,’ but that lawmakers needed to ‘work out the details.’ Her announcement to co-sponsor Sanders’ bill was the first time she had publicly supported a single-payer plan.

Under this European-style health care system, the government is solely responsible for covering health care costs. Sanders rolled out an earlier version of his proposal during the Democratic presidential primaries in 2016.

The plan was first estimated to cost $13.8 trillion over the first 10 years, but that ballooned to $32 trillion and required an average annual tax increase of $24,000 per household.

Fox News’ Brooke Singman contributed to this report.

This post appeared first on FOX NEWS
previous post
Bernie Sanders disagrees, but Trump keeps insisting Harris is more liberal than the Vermont senator
next post
Hunter Biden sought State Department assistance for foreign company while Joe was VP: report

You may also like

Legal group sues FDA over puberty blocker records,...

August 30, 2025

Lawyers for Cook, DOJ trade blows at high-stakes...

August 29, 2025

House investigators nix Mueller testimony in Epstein probe...

August 29, 2025

Is Putin stringing Trump along to sidestep US...

August 29, 2025

Senators demand oversight, reject vaccine guidance as illegitimate...

August 29, 2025

Witkoff meets Ukraine officials in New York ahead...

August 29, 2025

Abbott signs Texas redistricting map into law, securing...

August 29, 2025

Meet the radical anti-Israel activists joining ‘Squad’ Dem...

August 29, 2025

White House move to cancel $4.9B foreign aid...

August 29, 2025

2028 looks like trouble for Democrats — and...

August 29, 2025
Join The Exclusive Subscription Today And Get Premium Articles For Free


Your information is secure and your privacy is protected. By opting in you agree to receive emails from us. Remember that you can opt-out any time, we hate spam too!

Recent Posts

  • Legal group sues FDA over puberty blocker records, citing alleged Biden-era cover-up

    August 30, 2025
  • Lawyers for Cook, DOJ trade blows at high-stakes clash over Fed firing

    August 29, 2025
  • House investigators nix Mueller testimony in Epstein probe over health concerns

    August 29, 2025
  • Is Putin stringing Trump along to sidestep US sanctions while bombing Ukraine?

    August 29, 2025
  • Olivier v. City of Brandon Brief: Protecting the Right to Recover for Free Speech Violations

    August 29, 2025
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Terms & Conditions
  • Privacy Policy

Copyright © 2025 SecretAssetsOwners.com All Rights Reserved.


Back To Top
Secret Assets Owners
  • Investing
  • World News
  • Politics
  • Stock
  • Editor’s Pick