Secret Assets Owners
  • Investing
  • World News
  • Politics
  • Stock
  • Editor’s Pick
Politics

Tom Cotton slams ‘partisans and obstructionists’ in DOD reportedly plotting to block Trump plans

by November 26, 2024
November 26, 2024

Sen. Tom Cotton, R-Ark., blasted anyone within the Defense Department working to safeguard certain norms or policies that they expect the incoming Trump administration to target. 

‘It appears that partisans and obstructionists inside the Department of Defense are laying groundwork to defy or circumvent President Trump’s plans for both military and civil-service reform,’ Cotton wrote in a letter to Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin in reference to reports of such strategizing among DOD employees. 

‘These actions undermine civilian control of the military and our constitutional structure of government.’

Earlier this month, it was reported that there were ‘informal discussions’ occurring among Pentagon officials on what the department would do if Trump ordered the military for a domestic purpose or if he fired a significant number of employees, per CNN. 

One anonymous defense official was quoted in the report saying, ‘Troops are compelled by law to disobey unlawful orders.’ 

‘But the question is what happens then – do we see resignations from senior military leaders? Or would they view that as abandoning their people?’ they reportedly asked. 

President-elect Trump promised during his campaign to shake up the federal government, whether it be through staffing changes or reorganization. Some reports have indicated specific people are being looked at for termination once he enters office again. An ally of Trump, former presidential candidate Vivek Ramaswamy, has been vocal about his belief that the federal government must be shrunk in size. 

Ramaswamy has been tapped by Trump, along with billionaire business magnate Elon Musk, to lead his planned Department of Government Efficiency (DOGE) in his new administration. The proposed department has the goal of reducing the size of government, cutting spending and increasing efficiency. 

Cotton criticized Lloyd in his letter for ‘promulgating false claims that the incoming administration plans to arbitrarily fire uniformed leaders.’ 

Further, he slammed the secretary for a message after the election that the military would specifically follow ‘lawful orders’ from Trump. Cotton said this was ‘a thinly veiled and baseless insinuation that President Trump will issue unlawful orders.’

‘I have to observe that these actions and reports only prove the need for reform and fundamental change at the Department of Defense. And, of course, while inappropriate and annoying, these tactics are also useless because no action by the outgoing administration can limit the incoming president’s constitutional authority as commander-in-chief,’ the Arkansas Republican wrote. 

Cotton was recently elected to serve as chairman of the Senate Republican conference in the new Congress. He is also expected to take Florida Sen. Marco Rubio’s place as the head of the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence. 

The DOD did not immediately provide comment to Fox News Digital for purposes of this story. 

This post appeared first on FOX NEWS
previous post
Netanyahu publicly backs Israel-Hezbollah cease-fire plan
next post
Special Counsel Jack Smith’s federal Trump cases cost taxpayers more than $50 million, financials show

You may also like

Iran says US must ‘prove they want to...

February 16, 2026

Man who burned Quran in London may get...

February 16, 2026

Hillary Clinton clashes with Czech leader over Trump...

February 15, 2026

Schumer says Dems will fight voter ID push...

February 15, 2026

DAVID MARCUS: Trump hits the links with a...

February 15, 2026

Doctors Without Borders reduces operations at Gaza hospital...

February 15, 2026

The one sentence in Rubio’s Munich speech that...

February 15, 2026

Trump announces $5 billion pledge in Gaza aid...

February 15, 2026

Waltz calls UN a ‘cesspool for antisemitism’ as...

February 15, 2026

Rubio defends US operation in Venezuela, calls out...

February 15, 2026
Join The Exclusive Subscription Today And Get Premium Articles For Free


Your information is secure and your privacy is protected. By opting in you agree to receive emails from us. Remember that you can opt-out any time, we hate spam too!

Recent Posts

  • Iran says US must ‘prove they want to do a deal’ on nuclear talks in Geneva

    February 16, 2026
  • Man who burned Quran in London may get US asylum as case draws Trump administration attention

    February 16, 2026
  • Hillary Clinton clashes with Czech leader over Trump policies at Munich security conference

    February 15, 2026
  • Schumer says Dems will fight voter ID push ‘tooth and nail,’ balks at DHS role in elections

    February 15, 2026
  • DAVID MARCUS: Trump hits the links with a chance to bring in an ace

    February 15, 2026
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Terms & Conditions
  • Privacy Policy

Copyright © 2025 SecretAssetsOwners.com All Rights Reserved.


Back To Top
Secret Assets Owners
  • Investing
  • World News
  • Politics
  • Stock
  • Editor’s Pick